ABRSM Syllabus (2020+)
Answer all questions. You have 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Hover your mouse over the questions (tap on mobiles) to reveal the answers.
Scoring: 50/75=Pass, 60/75=Merit and 65/75=Distinction
1. Add the time signature to each of these five melodies. (8 points)
2. Add the correct rest(s) in the places marked with a star. (5 points)
3. Write as semibreves (whole-notes) the scales named below. (10 points)
a) E major, descending, with key signature
b) F# melodic minor, ascending, without key signature but including any necessary sharp or flat signs.
4. Rewrite this melody using notes and rests of half the value. Remember to put in the new time signature. (8 points)
5(a) The following passage contains five deliberate mistakes. Rewrite it correctly. (8 points)
5(b) Name the degree of the scale (e.g. 4th, 5th) of the highest note. The key is F minor.
6. Describe each of these melodic intervals, giving the type and number (e.g. minor 3rd, perfect 5th). The keys are named, and in each case the lower note is the key note (tonic). (8 points)
- A major
- Ab major
- G minor
- C# minor
7. Write the key signature and tonic triad of each of these keys. (8 points)
8. This melody is by Chopin. Look at it and answer the questions below.
A. (5 points)
(i) Give the meaning of each of these.
B. (5 points)
(i) How many times does the rhythm
(iv) Answer TRUE or FALSE to the following sentence:
C. Write out the melody from bar 5 to the end of the music an octave higher, using the treble clef as shown. (10 points)