On this page you can find the syllabus information, and links to the free ABRSM Grade 3 Music Theory lessons available on this site.
You will find a large number of free lessons on this website, or get the full ABRSM Grade 3 Music Theory course in your preferred format:
(available from Amazon)
ABRSM Grade 3 Music Theory Lessons
- The Demisemiquaver (32nd Note)
- Major Scales: E and A Flat
- Melodic Minor Scales
- Minor Scales (ABRSM Grade 3)
- Key Signatures and Key (Grade 3)
- Tonic Triads (ABRSM Grade 3)
- Compound Time Signatures
- Rests (Grade 3)
- Beaming and Grouping (Grade 3)
- Interval Qualities
- Transposition (Grade 3 ABRSM)
- Rewriting Rhythms (Grade 3 ABRSM)
- Spotting Errors
- Musical Terms Grade 3 (ABRSM)
- Grade 3 Music Theory Test (ABRSM)
ABRSM Syllabus (Grade 3)
Welcome to the Grade Three Music Theory Course!
Grade three is a gentle step up from grade two – but you do need to know all the material on the syllabuses for grades 1 and 2 in order to begin grade 3.
ABRSM Grade 3 Syllabus:
As in preceding grades, with the addition of:
- Compound time signatures of and the grouping of notes and rests within these times.
- The demisemiquaver (32nd note) and its equivalent rest.
Extension of the stave beyond two ledger lines.
- Transposition at the octave from the treble clef to the bass clef, and vice versa.
- Scales and key signatures of all major and minor keys up to and including four sharps and flats, including both harmonic and melodic forms of minor scales, with their tonic triads (root position), degrees (number only), and intervals above the tonic (number and type).
- More terms and signs.
Read the ABRSM syllabus here.